Know Your Name, Christian!

My 2 1/2 year old grandson is named after his two grandfathers ... "John David." However, he was also given the nickname "Jack." So most people call him Jack. However, I do not want him to lose sight of the reality that his given name is "John." So I play a little game with him. I'll ask him, "Where's John?" He immediately pats me on the arm. Then I ask, "Who else is John?" And without batting an eyelash he taps himself on the chest. So ... even though he answers's to "Jack," he knows that his REAL name is "John!"

I wonder how many followers of Christ lose sight of their "real" name (and I am not talking about some mysterious, mystical name that God will reveal to you if you ask him to do so!). No ... I am referring to our names that God has ALREADY revealed to us in His Word! For starters he calls us "my child" (John 1:12), "friend" (John 15:15) and "my sheep" (John 10:27).  And that's just the beginning.

It's easy living in such a harsh world (where we get called a lot of unflattering names!) to forget how God views us in Christ. We are his children, his friends, his sheep ... and there is nothing that can change that (Romans 8:1; Romans 8:38-39)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj



No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...