My Church .... My Family!

This past Sunday, as we continued to walk with Mark through the life of Christ, we came across Jesus's somewhat puzzling words. They occur when Jesus' family comes to take him back home as they thought he was "out of his mind." And when Jesus was told that his mother and brothers were outside calling for him, this is how he responded: "Who are my mother and my brothers?” And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:35). As I pointed out, Jesus was not ditching his natural family here (evidence being he provided for the care of his mother as he hung upon the cross; his half brother James wrote the New Testament book of James). But what Jesus was saying was this ... that when push comes to shove, the "supernatural" family trumps the "natural" one. For even though we are related by blood to our "natural" family, the bonds which unite us as followers of Jesus are soaked in HIS blood! 

In light of Jesus' teaching here that the church is FAMILY ... let me ask you this: are you part of a local church community of believers? And if you can name a particular church as your "church home" - have you made that commitment public? Most churches have some sort of process on becoming a "member" of that church. So if you are engaged with a church ... then follow their process. Become a member. You (and your church) will be better for it!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj


No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...