Friday Coffee with PJ

You can skip the donuts but not the coffee!
Time to grab that cup of java ... and join me for a few random thoughts.

1. Today is a day my family is gathering in Carthage, North Carolina to reflect on the life of my sister, Beverly. Since she was six years older than me, and being an older SISTER (vs. an older BROTHER), we did not run in the same circles when I was growing up. But that does not mean I have no childhood memories of her. In fact, many of my memories of her can be grouped around one theme: BOYS! Yep. She was quite popular in school, doing all the things that popular girls do (cheerlead, date a lot, talk on the phone ALL THE TIME, etc., etc., etc.). One other memory that stands out in my mind is her playing of the piano. I am not sure who insisted she take piano lessons. But whenever I saw her heading for the piano, I bolted for the door. Needless to say, she did not hang with the piano for long (making me one very happy little brother!). So ... all this to say, I am sad that she is no longer with us. But glad that she was my sister for 57 years ... and glad that I will one day see her again as she, like me, is a follower of the ONE (and the only one) who can open the doors of heaven for us (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).

2. Please keep praying for our brothers and sisters in the Central African Republic. Although a few things happened this week that bring hope, there is a loonnnggg way yet to go. Thanks for caring enough to pray each and every day!

3. I really cut it close with the snow storm this week. I discovered two weeks ago that my snow blower refused to start. "Hmm," I thought to myself, "time to take this in to get fixed!" Well, I put it off until last Thursday when I finally lifted it into our van and took it to a repair shop. The owner told me it would most likely by five days max. No problem, I thought, as there were no big snow storms in the forecast. Ha! By Monday morning, snow was indeed in the forecast ... and possibly a lot. In a semi panic, I called the shop. "Do you think you can get to my snow blower today?" I asked. "Well" the reply came, "we actually already have it done. Just did not get a chance to call you at the end of the day on Friday." Yahoo! I was thrilled. But that sure was a close call! And it did not have to be so. Why? One word: PROCRASTINATION! Yep. Something I am sure you just might be familiar with? Yes? Mark Twain said it well when he wrote these words, "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow!" That might be the easier route to go in the short term ... but you will pay a price in the long term if that is your typical MO (modus operandi)! SOOOO .... TODAY (not tomorrow nor the day after tomorrow) you need to get into God's Word. DON'T PUT IT OFF! Seize the day by knowing and living the Word of God (visit our Carpe Diem blog)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...