Digging that Yields Treasure!

Peter Kirk takes the old saying that "someone's trash is someone else's treasure" - just a bit further than I am guessing most of us would. Pete spends a good bit of his time in digging through Lancaster city's old outhouses. In doing so, he has found quite the array of unusual items. Now if you think that's a pretty disgusting hobby, I would agree. But, according to Kirk, it's really not that bad: "It's 100 years old. Everything has rotted away, so you're not playing in poo. It's a little gross, but once you make your first find, you forget about it."  A "little" gross? Maybe by his standards ... but certainly not by mine! (to read more about this man and the finds that people of yesteryear left "behind", you can read the article here on Lancasteronline). 

As I thought of this guy's determination to mine treasures from ... well .. you know ... I thought of my often lack of determination to mine treasures from God's Word. As a result, I don't dig into Scripture as I should. In failing to do this ... I hurt not only myself, but all those in my network of relationships. How so? If it is true that the Word of God will equip me for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17), then when I fail to dig into it and then put what I find into practice (Matthew 7:24-27), then I am not being equipped for every good work. And what does "every good work" entail? For me it would include my pastoral ministry, my roles as a husband, father and grandfather, my work of being a good friend and neighbor, my ministry as a police chaplain, etc., etc., etc.. 

Friends ... all of us could stand to follow Peter Kirk's example of determined digging. So join me in taking some time to take stock of how your digging into the Bible is coming along. If you need to make some changes ... do so. You and those around you will be better for it! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...