Some Thoughts this Labor Day Weekend

As I reflected on the fact that today is the first day of our Labor Day weekend, a couple of thoughts ran through my mind.

1. Hmm. Labor Day is the "official" end of summer (I guess vs. the calendar end of summer which this year falls on September 21st). Where did the summer go? It seems like yesterday I was cooking out on Memorial Day and learning my lines for our June Vacation Bible School. Time flies. So we must learn to make our days count (see Psalm 90:12 and Ephesians 5:15-16) for Christ and HIS kingdom!

2. Hmm. How many people who get a paid day off to celebrate the Labor Day holiday even know what the holiday is all about?  Babies maybe? After all, what women go through to birth a child is certainly worthy of a holiday! Labor Day became a national holiday in 1894, being established to commemorate the accomplishments of the American worker (for more background, click here). Since this is the case, allow me to suggest you take some time to reflect on your job. Are you thankful for it? Do you work for the glory of God? Do you pray for those who are out of work?  Always remember that there are many on this planet that are far worse off than you! So let's be sure to remember to give generously to the work of God ... and to those in need (see Ephesians 4:28).

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj




No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...