Some Random Thoughts to Begin Your Week

Here are some random thoughts floating around my mind today . . .
Add Image
1. This morning it hit me that there are only 8 more days of summer (Autumn officially begins Wednesday, September 22 at 11:09 PM, Eastern Daylight Savings Time)! Where did the summer go? Summer picnics, our shore trip, my time in India -- all are now quickly fading in the rearview mirror of my life! All this is just another reminder of how quickly time passes (like a puff of steam - James 4:14) and how vital it is, therefore, to make the most of our God-given opportunities. Let's determine not to waste our time (and our lives) playing the Great American Game of Trivial Pursuit!

2. Yesterday was Grandparents Day. Back in 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a presidential proclamation designating the first Sunday after Labor Day as National Grandparents Day. The first official observance was held on September 9, 1979. Grandparents Day has been observed each year since. (Now ... all I have to do is educate my kids!) If you have grandparents that are still living, let me encourage you to send them a card or note, or better yet, give them a call or even a visit. You will make their day!

3. The NFL (that is the National Football League for you non-fans) is back! Now for some of you (perhaps a lot of you) that won't mean a whole lot. But I happen to enjoy football for many reasons. I find that I can "chill" nicely as I watch a game (unless, of course, it is one of my teams playing in a tight game -- then it becomes a bit stressful!). So count me as one who is glad to see the opening of the NFL's season.

4. Yesterday I preached from Proverbs on Wise Talk. I gave four insights on how to speak wisely. Here they are:

Weigh your words before speaking
Orient your words toward the needs of others
Respect the power of words
Discard wrong talk

If we all were to practice these tidbits of wisdom - we would all go along way toward controlling the dangerous little piece of flesh that wags between our jaws!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...