Waiting for Baby

Right now I am sitting alone in a hospital coffee shop. Just a few hundred feet away, behind a few security check points and a closed door my youngest daughter is in the final stage of labor. My wife is with her along with her husband Ryan (when the midwife showed up and announced that it was time to push, that was my cue to exit- which I did most willingly - although part of me would like to be present to greet my grandson as he enters the world - but just a small part :)!!!

As I sit here sipping my coffee, a lot of questions are meandering around inside my head. What will "Little Slugger" (my wife's and my name for our yet-to-be-named grandson) look like? Will he have a lot of hair (won't need much to beat out Papa John!)? What color will his hair be? What will he weigh? How long will he be? Will he arrive waving a Pittsburgh Steeler terrible towel? :) But most pressing is the much more heavy question: Will he arrive healthy? That is THE question that tends to haunt most expecting parents (and grandparents). For good reason. There are no guarantees. The hospital promises good care - but cannot promise a healthy baby. All the prenatal care is a good thing but cannot assure a healthy newborn. But this is true of the world we live in. We are faced with uncertainties every day. So how do we handle these? The answer to this question is of utmost importance. For how we deal with life's uncertainties will go a long way toward determining the quality of our mental, emotional, physical and
spiritual well being.

So how should we handle the ups and downs .... the uncertainties of the world in which we live? Consider the following Scripture: Philippians 4:6-7, 1 Peter 5:7, John 14:1, Psalm 56:3, Proverbs 3:5-6. All of these passages encourage us to trust God. And why not? Is there anyone who loves us more than our all-powerful Father in heaven? He sent His Son who, on the cross, went through hell for us so that we don't have to! Is there any greater love than that?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

PS - In case you did not hear, little John David Aument arrived safely and healthy yesterday at 12:40 PM. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...