To India and Back ... Some Final Thoughts

Now that I have been home for one week, I thought I would list some final thoughts on my recent trip to India.

1. The actual traveling was grueling . . . about 37 hours on the way over (van, plane, plane, plane, van) and about 27 hours on the way home (van, plane, plane, van). It is not a trip I would want to make with any regularity. But, at the end of the day, all the hours of sitting on the planes and in the terminals was worth every minute as we ministered for Christ in India.

2. Having friends (both old and new) on the other side of the world is indeed a great joy. The Indians I have met in my three trips may speak a different language, dress in different clothes and have names that I have trouble pronouncing - but they are a precious people who love God just like me. I am a better person having met these dear people.

3. Watching the excitement of 160 boys as they received a new shirt was, in a way, a rebuke to me. I have more shirts than I could ever wear. Hmm. Time to simplify and free up resources to help those in need.

4. What a blessing it was to see points of light in the midst of the pervasive spiritual darkness of India. The gospel is alive and well at Children's Fellowship of India in Naya Akola; at Boys and Girls Christian Home in Chaddur Bazzar; at Prakash Institute in Nagpur; at Norton Memorial Christ Church in Daund; at Union Biblical Seminary in Pune. Please join me in praying for the advance of the gospel in India.

5. The ministry of CFI is about far more than providing basic necessities of life to orphans. At the heart of this ministry is raising up a new generation of devoted followers of Jesus. Each time I have been to India (and this time was no exception) I have met Christian leaders who were raised at Boy's Christian Home (the orphanage where Philip Dongre, Executive Director of CFI was raised). I am convinced that in the next two decades, visitors to central and western India will meet a number of Christian leaders who grew up at Children's Fellowship of India.

6. When we are weak, He is strong. As I sat in my hotel room in Mumbai the final Friday we were in country, I asked God, "How am I going to be able to make it through this weekend?" At the time I was suffering the third day of a GI tract infection. We were set to drive to Daund (a 5 hour drive) and then I was scheduled to preach 7 times between Friday evening and Monday morning. I asked God to strengthen me so I could fulfill this ministry of the Word. God enabled in a powerful way. In spite of my sickness and weakness, I was able to fulfill each responsibility. God proved himself strong when I was very weak. God has a way of doing that, doesn't He?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...