Beware You Don't Miss the Obvious!

Recently, someone set me a video that I found quite interesting. If you have a couple of minutes, please watch the following. Then scroll down and read my comments (but do NOT read my comments before viewing the video).














Now, I must confess I missed the obvious on my first view. I was so busy and intent on counting the passes ... that I missed the gorilla! Funny ... yes, but sobering too. Why do I say it's sobering? For this reason: So many of us are so intent on making a living here on earth --- going to work, running our kids to soccer practice, doing our grocery shopping, etc. --- that it can be very easy for us to miss the obvious. And what is the obvious? Simply that this life is only the first of two lives that we will live AND that this life is by far the shorter and more brutish of the two. So all this to say - DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF HEAVEN! Make choices now that will have consequences then! Really, what is even 90 years on earth compared to an eternity in heaven?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

2 comments:

Terry Jacobs said...

Pastor John,

This was an interesting blog. It went right along with our section at the end of this week in our church and the futures class at LBC. We have somewhere misplaced or lost our anticipation of heaven. We must retrace our steps or replay the video to see where it went. Needless to say I believe as you have stated that we lost it somewhere in the hub bub of our daily schedules. Sometimes I can get so caught up as a minister in seeing the needs met of our congregation members and seeing the church grow that I lose sight of the destination that we are moving toward. Heaven is where Jesus is and when I take the time to think about it, I'm like,"Oh yeah heaven." When you take the time to think about all that God has prepared for us it is so encouraging and motivating. The problem is that we are just too busy watching the passing of the ball that we miss the blessings that God intended.

Pastor John said...

Well said, Terry! So true for far too many of us.

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...