Wasting Time with God?

Shopping is not something I enjoy doing. In fact, it fits in the category of "have-to" tasks vs. "want-to" tasks (other "have-to" tasks would include going to the dentist, completing my tax returns, and grading exams - just to name a few). Therefore, if I must shop, I am usually in and out of stores as quickly as I can. But there is one type of store I could browse in for hours and that is a bookstore. Whether we're talking a Berean Christian Bookstore or a Barnes & Nobles or a Borders (or even Amazon.com!), I just love checking out potential books to read. And I must admit, I usually end up buying more than I can read! (Right now I am working my way through at least 7 or 8 books - hopefully I will finish at least half of them!)

One of my recent purchases is the book Wasting Time with God: A Christian Spirituality of Friendship with God (by Klaus Issler). In a conversation, a friend happened to mention this book, so I checked it out and bought it. Currently I am working my way through chapter 2 - and so far I have enjoyed the book immensely. Just what is the book about? The following is a quote from the back cover:

"When it comes to developing a deep, trusting relationship with God, efficiency and productivity are not the answer. Rather we need to 'waste' time with him, to just enjoy being with him. After all, that's how any friendship grows. Exploring how to make room for God in our fast-paced lives, Issler considers seven character traits and companion disciplines: friendship, humility, faith, commitment, communication, apprenticeship and partnership. These combine to offer a model for a full-orbed Christian spirituality that will be of lasting value."

One of the most compelling quotes from the book that I have encountered in my reading to date actually comes out of the author's acknowledgements section. In fact, it is his last acknowledgement. Here is what he writes, "But most of all, I thank God for being God - mysterious, majestic, personal." Wow! That is our God. As the infinite (read "unlimitable") God he is indeed mysterious. We are finite (read "limited") and so there is much about God that we just can't get our arms around. He is also majestic (the most majestic being by far in the universe and beyond!). And to think that this mysterious and majestic God is personal! Wow! And because He his personal, we can enter into a personal friendship with Him! But to grow that friendship we must be willing to "waste time" with Him! Are you willing???

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...