Tackling Life's Challenges!

For several years a small pub in upstate Pennsylvania has put a challenge on the table: $400 to anyone who could down the Beer Barrel Belly Buster in under five hours. For several years, many a burly man has stepped up to take the challenge - but never finished. That is, until last week. That's when a Uniontown, PA chef named Brad Sciullo walked into the pub. He ordered the Belly Buster (which, by the way is a 15 pound hamburger covered with an additional five pounds of toppings - which is the equivalent of approximately 60 Burger King Whoppers)! Four hours and 39 minutes later, Sciullo had accomplished what many before him had failed to do. For his efforts he was awarded $400, several T-shirts, a certificate and what the pub owner called "a burger hangover."

What motivated Sciullo to tackle the seemingly impossible? In his words, "I wanted to see if I could." Despite his rather average stature (5'11", 180 lbs) - he was up to the challenge and walked out of the pub (or perhaps he was carried out of the pub) $400 richer.

Hmmm. "I wanted to see if I could." As believers in Jesus Christ, I wonder how often when faced with a challenge, we simply give up ... we throw in the proverbial towel. Life is full of obstacles and difficulties (see my posting of yesterday). And when we encounter them - especially the bigger ones that come our way - I think far too often we allow anxiety and fear to grip us ("Oh, woe is me ... how we I ever get through this?"). At these times we must fix our minds on the promises of God (such as "Nothing is impossible with God." [Luke 1:37] AND "I can do everything through him (Jesus Christ) who gives me strength" [Philippians 4:13]).

So as you face today's challenges - remember that you do not face them alone. Jesus Christ the King of the Universe is there with you ... and he will make you able!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...