Friday Coffee with PJ

Well ... it's Friday again. Thanks for joining me for your morning (or noon or evening) cup of Joe. Here are some random reflections for you to chew on as you sip your coffee ... enjoy!

1.  Yesterday was National Pi Day. That's NOT a typo ... it was National Pi (not pie) day. Pi, of course, is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and is approximately equal to 3.14159. USA Today ran an article that offered up five ways to celebrate the day (click here to see if still available). So if you missed the celebration ... perhaps you could celebrate a belated Pi Day! I for one would just as soon leave my geometry back in my high school geometry class where I had the good fortune to first meet Pi. Next March 14th (3.14) ... I think I will celebrate National Pi Day by eating a slice of some good old fashioned apple PIE. That's the kind of pie I enjoy! 

2. I read an interesting news article on coffee ... did you know that over 400 million cups of coffee are consumed each day in the U.S.? And why is it so popular? It is because caffeine is one of its key ingredients. According to Dr. Roland Griffiths (professor, departments of psychiatry, behavioral science and neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine) caffeine is "the most widely used mood-altering drug" in the world. And according to research it only takes about 20 milligrams of caffeine to begin to experience its effects ... and you can get that much in just a few sips! SOOO ... all that to say ... go ahead and enjoy your coffee (I enjoy mine). But like anything in life ... moderation is always a good path to travel (and if you want to read a decent article on the pros and cons of coffee consumption, click here). All of us must seek to be good stewards of the body God has given us. After all, we only get one! 

3. Next week I head out to Winona Lake, Indiana, the home of our fellowship of church's college and seminary. It is always exciting to see some of the innovative initiatives that the schools are engaging in ... always trying to make a solid Christian education affordable and achievable for an increasing number of students. I always walk away encouraged but plumb worn out after three days of Board meetings. Sure would appreciate your prayers! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

PS - Even though I will be away next week, I did prepare a few postings ... so be sure to stop back! 

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...