Friday Coffee with PJ

Ahhh ... Friday again? That means the one day of the week that I work (Sunday) will soon be upon us (that's really not the case, I assure you!). So here are a few nuggets of thought to enjoy with your beverage of choice (mine really does happen to be coffee!).

1. Last Sunday's police appreciation/memorial service that we conducted here at Grace Church, reminded me again of how blessed we are to have such fine law enforcement personnel caring for us, the citizens of Lancaster County. These men and women who serve in the various local departments along with those who are members of the Pennsylvania State Police are to be commended for the jobs they do. Each day when they walk out the door of their homes, there exists the very real possibility that they may not return when their shift is done. They put their lives on the line day in and day out as they patrol our increasingly violent streets (and compared to other occupations, the pay is not all that great!). SO ... the next time you encounter an officer, take a moment and thank them for all they do. Our communities would not be nearly as safe without their efforts on our behalf!

2. Welcoming a grandchild into the family never seems to grow old! On Wednesday, my hospital visitation led me right path Women's and Babies' Hospital where my daughter and her newborn daughter were patients. So ... in spite of a pressing schedule, I took twenty minutes out to stop in for a quick visit. Holding baby June in my arms while she slept (and made a number of very funny faces ... do babies dream? And if they do, what could they possibly be dreaming about?) . . . I was once again struck by the "miracle" of birth. The words of David come to mind when he wrote, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:13-16). The procreation of life is an amazing witness to the incredible awesomeness of our God!

3. There is a verse in the book of Proverbs (among MANY in the book) that I wish we would hear and put into practice. The verse reads, "The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him" (Proverbs 18:17). Another way to state what this verse is getting at is "There are always two sides to every story." Now my experience has taught me that there are usually THREE sides to every story ... Person A's side ... Person B's side ... and then the truth (which most often can be found somewhere in the middle). So ... whenever someone comes to complain to you about someone else, don't swallow what they tell you "lock, stock, and barrel." Remember this verse ... and remember that there is more to the story than you are being told. 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...