How Healthy Am I? (part 3)

As we continue to take a hard look at where we are in our spiritual journey ... here is question #3 of the seven I promised.


3. Do I complain more than I give thanks?

Again and again the Bible we are admonished to GIVE THANKS! Consider: 

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name." 
(Psalm 100:4)

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

These are just two examples of many!  Now why does the Bible over and over again remind us to do this?  Because God knows how prone we are to take things for ………… “granted” 

This attitude of entitlement permeates our society. As a result we sometimes (perhaps better said, "often?") get to feeling that we are entitled to God’s blessings! That He owes us!  OH MY FRIENDS – beware of this deadly attitude! All that we enjoy from God’s hand is as a result of HIS GRACE – giving to us what we in now way deserve!  

Be careful!!!  And if you are anything like me – you probably complain far more than you realize!!! We are like the grandmother on the beach who watches in horror as her little grandson is swept off the beach and out to sea by a huge wave … In desperation she pleads with God for his life … “Please – return him and take me instead … he has his whole life before him … he means everything to me  --- take anything you want from me … just save him!” Miraculously she watches as a second huge wave appears and suddenly drops her grandson at her feet unharmed. She takes one look at him …then looks toward heaven and says, “Where’s his hat?”

Nothing grows old as quickly as gratitude!  Take some time and listen to yourself talk --- my guess is that you will be surprised by how much you catch yourself complaining!  

So as we wrap up this week and head into the weekend .... ask yourself this question, "Do I complain more than I give thanks?"

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...